In case you haven’t heard: 2010 is the year of the Geek Girl at SD Comic Con International. This year there is an unprecedented amount of programming designed for us with the lady parts. The vibe in these programs and surrounding the con is one of awesome collaboration. (Because that’s what we she-geeks are about – collaborating and helping each other reach new geek heights.)
Last night we attended the first ever Geek Girl Tweet-up at Joltin’ Joe’s in San Diego’s Gaslamp District. Organized by Geek Girl Diva, Kristin Rielly (publisher of Geek Girls Network), Nerdy Bird (of Has Boobs, Reads Comics) and the Science and Discovery Channels (respectively), this was a party where the girls PWND. We talked to: Debbie Myers (president of the Science Channel!!), Grant Imahara (Mythbusters), Taryn O’Neill and Stephanie Thorp (Celebrate the Web), Kylee Lane (Luxury Lane Soap), Thom Zahler (Love and Capes), Elliott Serrano (Geek to Me – The Chicago Tribune) and a ton of other really cool new geeky friends…
And the schwag, OMFG, the schwag!
Here’s the deal: Though I would love to keep all the amazing schwag I’ve gotten at Comic Con, I would feel exceptionally greedy if I did. So I’m going to give some of it away to you, our loving and devoted readers! Here’s how to play: The trivia quiz below is a replicate of the one we had at the Geek Girls and Friends Tweet-up last night. Email the correct answers to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and the first five people will win a prize. Here’s what you could win:
- A Geek Girls and Friends Tweet-up gift bag from The Geek Girl Diva and Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab (includes a custom scent made for this event).
- A Darth Maul LED Lightsaber key chain (courtesy of StarWars.com).
- A limited edition Firefly lithograph of Nathan Fillion as Mal (unsigned, but soooo cool! Doc is keeping Kaylee and I’m keeping Jayne, sorry!)
- A Mythbusters giant tote bag with Ms. Kari Byron on the front.
- A complete set of SyFy collectible Comic Con pins.
Prizes will be assigned randomly by me – but, basically the first five people to email me the correct answers (without using Google!! Honor system!!) will win. I’ll be mailing out prizes next week when I’m back in San Francisco… so make sure to include your addy in the email. Without further ado:
Kate’s GeekGirl Comic Con Quiz
- Name five of the 11 actors who have played the Doctor on Doctor Who.
- Name three of the Secret Six.
- What are the Lantern Corps colors?
- What does TARDIS stand for?
- What are the names of Tatooine’s two moons?
- Who played the female Yoda?
- Who were the original creators of Dungeons and Dragons?
- What are the names of the five Sailor Scouts?
- Who was the instigator of the original Secret Wars?
- Who wrote the theme song for Daria?
Thanks to all the amazing geek girls who put on the party last night! (And, if you write for this blog, have won schwag from other cons we covered or are attending Comic Con, please let the peeps who aren’t able to be here play to win. M’kay?)
Read my guest blog post on Attention Deficit Delirium!